Saturday, August 30, 2008

When I Grow Up...

I've been in this manic mood lately about what the hell I'm doing with my life. I'm beginning to think I was grossly misinformed in college and had a complete lack of guidance since I was under the impression that having a college degree in journalism would the open the door to a variety of jobs. But the only door it's opened for me is one that leads to a big black hole. The black hole known as newspapers. Hello? Is there anybody out there? And could you please get me the fuck out of here?
I'm beginning to think that I'll be the reporter in this tiny Kansas town for the rest of my life. I thought I wanted to be a journalist, but as I chill here just above the poverty line while my friends my age are buying homes and getting promotions, I know I can't realistically do this for the rest of my life. There's no opportunity to climb higher and make more money and the skills that I've acquired over the past three years apparently mean nothing since I've been looking for a another job for almost a year with only one interview and a big fatty rejection letter.
So, obviously something's not working here...what do I do about it?

Do I go back to school? For what? I obviously didn't know what the hell I was doing the first time. What are the chances I could fuck it up the second time? So, after a bit of research, I decided that getting an MBA would be beneficial. Then I presented my idea to my parents who immediately criticized it into the ground and made me go, well never-fucking-mind then...I'll just rot in misery until something gets thrown my way...yeah, that's the way to get what you want. I hear Debbie Downer in the midst - wah WAAAAAAAH.

There are about 30,000 things I could do except I don't know how to do them and I need to figure it out.

Um, hello, can I get a career coach please? Do those even exist? God! I don't know anything! : (

No comments:

 

View my page on Twenty Something Bloggers