Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Outside My Window

Oh holy shit! It's a blog!

Most of the time I find myself swirling around in this new life full of statistics, spreadsheets, group projects, leadership methods, new faces, unfamiliar smells, public transportation, bums, lattes and only a memory of a simple, seemingly peaceful life, hence the reason Chaotic Stability has been neglected...kind of ironic since I've been living the epitome of it.

Most of the time as I'm tromping my ass to the light rail everyday, I look up at the skyline, smile and think, I'm really doing this. However, every once in a while, I stop and stand still while it all flies around me and I think, what the hell did I do? The stress of being a full time graduate business student along with juggling a social life and wooing all the men folk affords me little time to grieve my former life, but the three seconds every couple of weeks that I do have time to think about it, I wonder if I'll ever get used to this place and this life. Nothing is the same as it used to be.

People constantly ask me, "After you graduate, do you think you'll stay in Colorado?" And, after three months of complete aimless wandering, searching for and somewhat succeeding in finding a couple of footholds, I honestly still don't know. I'm not sure what it's going to take to convince me, but I'm pretty sure it's time....so onward, I go.

I live above a yoga studio — yes, of course I do, this is Denver — and the constant smell of incense billows out of the curtained doors which apparently helps the people inside stand on their hands with their legs wrapped around their head much better than non-incense infused air. Of course, it's not the incense that makes me choke when I walk by...it's all the dudes prancing around in their spandex yoga pants with their bulges blazing. What? It's not like you can't not look...

And, speaking of surprises, I love walking past every small niche in a building and being scared shitless by a sleeping mound of human. I should learn to brace myself for this by now, since the majority of the trash filled nooks and crannies, especially on my walk home from school, are inevitably occupado with much more than pizza boxes and empty, brown paper bag sheathed vodka bottles. Much to my dismay, Andy gets all excited and tries to snuggle up inside their sleeping bags with them when we walk by. I'm like, no, dammit, that's not where you're supposed to look for your new daddy! I feel so neglectful...and confused as to why this city is so overrun with bums.

It's all part of urban living I guess and according to my apartment complex, where I live is "urban living at it's finest," which is code for, sleep with your windows open if you dare...or if you don't actually like to sleep. Forget the noise of cars, trucks and buses barreling down the one way street that the building sits on, I like the fact that nobody can just honk their horn when necessary, but feel the need to get out of their seat and place their ass on their steering wheel so the horn sounds for a good 30 seconds even at 3 a.m. I also like when they add commentary such as, "Where's your fucking turn signal douchebag?!" Another favorite was when bums decided to fight over corners and/or dumpsters right outside the window in the wee hours of the morning, which went something like, "Get the fuck out of here!" Over and over again.

However, the grand finale came when at 4 a.m., I heard a car alarm followed by a woman's voice screaming, "Hey, hey you running away, I saw you!" This is when I found myself extra grateful for a spot in a secured parking garage. Then, as 5 a.m. rolled around, the construction workers currently transforming a defunct gourmet grilled cheese restaurant into a pizza place next door to the yoga place, decided that hack sawing was a good idea. I'm glad I'm afforded the luxury of sleeping in.

The window has been closed ever since...except when Cheech and Chong decide to flood the hallway with some skunky, skanky herb they purchased and smoked to help cure their "aching backs."

*sigh* Remember when I worked at a doggie day care, collected unemployment and lived in a glorified old foggie apartment complex in the Kansas 'burbs? I'm not complaining, it's just insane how simple and long ago it all seems now...

5 comments:

Luna said...

so glad to see you posting again. i have missed it. yes i guess life was more simple before but you are doing something great and everything will turn out fine. just keep at it. hell i wish i was in school again but dont have the money. there are alot of bums and worse where i live too. i would love to be in your position now. if you hear any of those assholes yelling in the middle of the night just yell right back. i think you'll feel better.

just yesterday some bitch opened her car door to get out and didnt pay attention to my car door and hit it. i acknowledged what happened but she ignored me and left. i was like ok, fine. so as i was leaving i slammed my door even harder into her, twice, and caused more damage then left. i know i felt better after that.

Kristin said...

oh lara...i'm glad you're back, i've been missing your stories! :)

Megs said...

Uh, yikes.

On the plus side, if the bum fights are a pretty regular occurrence you could probably charge people admission or something and make a little extra money...

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I guess all big urban areas are the same with the hiding bums! I remember when I lived in NYC, during the transit strike I was walking to work one December when it was about 10 degrees F. out and seeing people in alleys just stretched out under blankets. In THAT weather. What a terrible way to have to live. But they certainly scare the pants off you when you're not expecting them!

So about these yoga men bulges....:)

nova said...

Yay! Catch us up on your life! It's been like, forever.

 

View my page on Twenty Something Bloggers